Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Adventures Aplenty!

As if a broken bone wasn't enough excitement for our family for a week, I got to experience my own ER visit and hospital stay Memorial Day weekend.

 Friday morning, we had an appointment with the orthopedist for Emmalyn's collar bone. We were told that the bone would heal on its own and straighten out eventually over the next few years. She needs to wear a sling for a couple more weeks. Overall, it is pretty good news, and she isn't hindered too much by the arm. She likes to see the x-ray of her broken "cowar bone." She won't get on any trampolines anytime soon, though. It is a little tough to hold down a three-year-old!

 After the doctor's visit, I went to Walmart because we were out of children's Advil and prenatal vitamins. As I was walking through the store, my left leg began to feel really heavy and strange. By the time I got home, the leg was very swollen, from the hip to the toes. I rested for the afternoon and kept it propped, but after Emmalyn's nap, I had a good deal of pain in my left hip when walking. I finally called my doctor's office to report my symptoms about 4:00 p.m. I got a return call, and my doctor wanted me to head to the local ER for an ultrasound of my leg to determine if there was a clot. He warned me that if a clot was present, I would need daily shots. I was really hoping it wasn't the case.

 We dropped Emmalyn off to play with some friends and arrived at the ER a little after 6:00 p.m. We had to wait for an ultrasound tech to return, and I had the ultrasound about 8:00 p.m. The doctor let us know there was a partial blockage in my upper thigh, and I needed to be admitted. After some time, we learned I was being sent to the larger hospital nearby where my doctors work. We made arrangements for my sister to get Emmalyn, and I got my first ride in an ambulance. It wasn't too bad; it was the quickest trip to Albany I've had in a while! I arrived about 11:00 p.m.; Stephen went by our house to grab some staples for our stay and met me there. I first went to the labor and delivery floor to a room. The baby's heart rate was monitored, and I wasn't having contractions. Baby James did not like being squeezed by the monitors, and he continuously kicked for as long as they were on! After being reassured that the baby was fine, I was transferred to the hematology/oncology floor about 3:00 a.m. I received my first shot of Lovenox at 4:00 a.m. It burned like crazy! Needless to say, I didn't get much rest Friday night.

 I saw doctors from my ob's office and the oncologist on duty Saturday morning. She explained that I would get the shot every 12 hours, and the clot would gradually dissolve. I need shots for the next 6 months. The clot is likely due to chemo, cancer and/or pregnancy. They usually don't occur under age 40, but I have a few risk factors. I am just turning into an old woman!

 We had our families visit Saturday, and I spent another night in the hospital. My oncologist came for a visit Sunday morning. He said I would learn how to give myself daily shots of Arixtra, and I could go home. I hoped to be out of there before lunch, but it was 4:00 p.m. before we left because only one person was on duty for releases for the holiday weekend. I was very glad to go! I do not miss being woken up several times a night so they could take my vitals and give me a shot. The food was as bad as advertised, too.

 My leg still hurts to walk, and it swells after standing for just a few minutes. My doctor said it will take a few days to get relief. I have given myself a shot for the past three days. The needles are pretty small, and the Arixtra seems to not burn afterward as much as the Lovenox did, fortunately. The nurse suggested that Stephen learn to give me shots, but I haven't let him try it yet. I am afraid I would just resent him for sticking me, so I'd prefer to do it myself.

 This has all been a great adventure, and I am just along for the ride. I was never anxious about the situation, even though I know some deep vein thrombosis (clots) can travel to the lungs and cause death. I think over the years, doctors have learned that it is not dangerous to move the leg, as once thought. My only setback at the moment is my own pain tolerance. I am still taking it easy. As usual, we are very blessed by the prayers, meals, etc., from friends and family. I hope not to have any more "adventures" in the near future!

 I am trying to keep in mind these versus through my many adventures...
"Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits;
Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle." (Psalm 103:1-5 NASB)

 I pray that my youth is renewed soon!

1 comment:

  1. So glad your clot will be manageable at home! You are truly having quite the adventure for sure! And glad that Emmalyn is ok, too!

    Jennifer does a great job of keeping us all updated ~ prayers for you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete