Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Our Little Miracle

My third round of treatment went off without a hitch yesterday. I feel good today, except Emmalyn awoke with a stomach virus about 2:00 am. We didn't get much sleep. Stephen has taken care of her, and she is feeling good this morning, but I am praying Stephen nor I catch it! Stomach bugs are the worst things ever!

 We got a treat after lunch yesterday...our midpoint diagnostic ultrasound! The baby boy looks great! His head, heart, kidneys, stomach, bladder, spine, arms, legs, mouth, and nose look normal and healthy. Praise the Lord! I was a Ittle anxious about everything looking okay. The heartrate was 155 bpm. His weight is about 9 ounces, and his size is on track for our due date. So far, there are no signs of the chemo affecting the baby! I am relieved and grateful.

 Rubbing his head.
 Handsome little face!
Cute little feet!

 Emmalyn is pretty excited. She has been calling the baby her baby brother for several weeks now. I guess she had a hunch. She loves looking at the ultrasound pictures and picking out the head and body parts. Her first question when we got home yesterday was, "Has my baby brother hatched yet from your belly?" I guess she is as anxious for him to arrive as we are. She will be a great big sister!

 We have had a boy name decided on since before Emmalyn was born. We will name him "James" Edward Snyder. James is in memory of my little brother, James Thomas "Tom" Hall. He was named for our grandfather, James "Cecil" Hall. Tom was a great brother...funny, quiet, sweet, athletic, smart, and had a heart for the Lord. And though he passed away 9 1/2 years ago at the age of 14, I still miss him so much! He would love his nieces and nephews! My grandfather was also very special to me. He was hard-working, kind, and loving. Edward is Stephen's middle name. He was named for his grandfather, Gordon Edward "Ed" Snyder. Stephen describes him as caring, loving, and wise.

 I feel the name already describes him. James means "supplanter." In our hearts, minds, hopes, and prayers, James has somewhat replaced the cancer. Instead of dweling on my diagnosis and worrisome treatments, I can plan the baby's room and shop for little blue clothes. Edward means "happy, prosperous guardian." I pray that he will be kind, gentle, selfless, courageous, strong, smart, thoughtful, and, most importantly, that he will love the Lord. I can't wait to meet him and see what God has in store for his life! Our little miracle is such a blessing!

 "O LORD, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all. You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it. Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me. If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night," Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You. For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You." (Psalm 139:1-18 NASB)

4 comments:

  1. Great news!! I cannot wait to meet baby James! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah...Melissa Kenyon has shared your blog with me. I have read your entries and applaud you for journaling your journey. Faith and trust in God who has gone before us to prepare our way gives us the strength we need to face all circumstances.

    I join you in your journey and will pray for you and your family. God is The Great Physician.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. What a perfect name for your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete