Monday, May 6, 2013

Getting Back to Normal

Best buddies!
Emmalyn and James are keeping me busy and entertained. They are so sweet together. Emmalyn is a great big sister! They are so happy to see each other in the morning. James just grins at her, and Emmalyn runs to play with him.  James is 8 months old now. His first two teeth have broken through in the last two weeks. He is not crawling yet, but he is beginning to pull his knees up under him in the position. He gets around pretty well already, though. He gets in the skydiver position with only his tummy touching the floor most of the time. He likely has a very strong back! He is very curious and grabs at everything, especially sister's hair and skirts. She tolerates him pretty well during these times. As she says, "he is just so cute!"  Most things go straight to his mouth. We have to be careful to keep Emmalyn's small toys off the floor. He "coo's" and says "guh," and sometimes I believe he says "hey." When he is really tired and frustrated, he shakes his head from side-to-side like he is saying no. They start early! He likes toys with music and kicks his legs to the beat. James is eating pretty well, though he still won't complete 8 ounces in most feedings. He loves sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, apples, pears, peaches, bananas, and cereal. We are adding new foods gradually. I made some baby food this week...butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots, but I had to use our smoothie maker. He has tried my sweet potatoes and didn't hate them, though it wasn't as smooth as the jar stuff. Not too bad for a first try, I say!

First time in the pool.

Nothing like sand between your toes!

It is already so much fun to aggravate sister!

First two teeth!
Fun day at the strawberry farm.

He has experienced a few firsts in the past month...first trip to the beach with Stephen's aunt in Bonita Bay, first time in the swimming pool, first boat ride, first time at the zoo, first softball game to watch Dad, and first trip to the strawberry patch. It is fun to introduce these things again and have another fresh perspective on the world. He liked the sand; he warmed up to the pool and was in heaven. He is a water boy. 

We will dedicate James at church this Sunday. We are giving thanks to God for blessing us with him, and we are pledging to teach him about Jesus and raise him in a loving, caring, gentle family centered on Christ. We pray that his heart will be tender and drawn to Christ at a young age. We are also asking the church to support our family and encourage us and come alongside us to teach and direct James. It will be a special day!


Emmalyn LOVES the beach! She has improved greatly in the pool, too, and talks about swimming all the time now.  We visited Stephen's aunt near Naples and had a great time, then later that week we were in Atlanta for a NeedToBreathe concert at the Fox, which was great! It was kind of an end-of-treatment celebration, followed with a trip to Zoo Atlanta the next morning. The zoo also tops the list of Emmalyn's all-time favorite places. The girl is an animal lover!

Zoo Atlanta

Emmalyn is such a sweet girl. She is passionate about everything she does. She is very outgoing and interested in involving her friends and others in everything. She is very smart and so funny! She speaks really well and has an extensive vocabulary, but some of my favorite expressions from her (that I just can't correct her on) are "musnashes" for mustaches (we try to find opportunities for her to say it often), "babysittering" for babysitting, "my snog is running" when her nose runs, "my tummy is grumbly" when she is hungry, and "tinky" for pinky. Common phrases are "everyone will love it," referring to almost anything, "does it twirl?" for every single outfit, "put James down on his mat" when she wants me to play with her, and "can I watch 'My Little Ponies' on your iPad?" She absolutely loves all animals. She says that she is going to be a veterinarian when she gets big like me. She also likes taking pictures (with my camera under supervision!). She is really excited about school this fall, but she has expressed her displeasure at having to get shots. I promised her a trip to Chuck E Cheese that day, and I need to just bite the bullet and get her check-up over with. James and I will really miss her while she's at school!

Current favorite twirly dress.

Two months out from the end of radiation, I am feeling pretty well...almost normal! Well, my new normal, anyway. My hair is growing in pretty well. I have actually had it trimmed a couple of times to tame it as it grows out. I'm afraid it will get unmanageable really soon! It is so easy to take care of at this length, but I think I want it a little longer to look more feminine. I am still surprised sometimes by the numbness under my arm, and the tips of my toes and fingers are still slightly numb.  My teeth are the most sensitive. I was told that I need to wear my compression sock more often to help circulation after the clot in my leg. Overall, I don't have anything to complain about. The burns on my skin gradually got worse through the 36 radiation treatments, but it healed quickly within a couple of weeks.

At my three month follow-up with the oncologist, he said that I can consider myself cancer-free. Those are great words to hear! I'll have another appointment in early June, then appointments possibly every 6 months. I will see the radiation oncologist again in late June, then set up appointments every 6 months with him also, but staggered with my oncology visits so that I have an exam every three months. I will likely have mammograms twice a year and be monitored closely for the next few years.

Relay for Life Survivor's Lap

I am very relieved to be done! I was able to walk the Survivor's lap at our Relay for Life last week. I was proud to be there and feeling good. I'm always amazed at how prevalent cancer is and how many people are affected. Everyone's story is different, but we are connected in the battle. I hope that I can be an encouragement to others. There are several others in the midst of treatments or with a new diagnosis, and I pray for them as they often come to mind.

I am so glad to be at this point in my life. I have two beautiful, healthy children, a loving husband, and I'm feeling healthy. I have an interesting perspective on life after all of this, and I'm at a point that I feel like I can start to shift some focus on other things and maybe pay it forward. I will probably start working at the Crisis Pregnancy Center again; perhaps there is an expecting mother with a medical condition who could be encouraged by my story. I signed up to take a meal to another family; we were blessed by so many people with meals over the last year. I have been asked to give a little talk to a group of ladies next week. It will be my first time doing anything like that. I was interviewed by the local newspaper, too.  It is cool to be able to share my testimony of God's provisions and give hope to others with a devastating diagnosis. Just to look at James, I am overwhelmed at how perfect he is. I am so blessed, and I praise God for keeping him safe and showering our family with His blessings!

Easter 2013

My little miracle!

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart..." - Jeremiah 1:5a

"for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:11-13

2 comments:

  1. So happy that you are healthy and happy and your children are, too! God is good - ALL THE TIME! Yay for the end of your battle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy for you Leah! Sounds like things are slowly getting back to normal and you can enjoy those beautiful children you are blessed with. So happy you are feeling better and continue to heal. Thankful to God for taking care of you and bringing through the hard times. Thankful for your continued trust in our Lord. Love you! Thank YOU for continuing to share your life with us.

    ReplyDelete