Friday, April 13, 2012

No Hair Day!

I love my little girl so much! She is such a joy to me! She had a great time this Easter season with several egg hunts and parties with friends. She loves to talk about Jesus, too!
 She loved the Flying Easter Bunny experience!
 Her pretty new Easter dress.
Decorating eggs with her best friends.

 I started my second round of chemo Monday. It has gone much the same as the last time...no stomach issues, good appetite, a little tired, but nothing too unusual. I praise the Lord for these good days. I also heard the baby's heartbeat Monday. It was 154-156 bpm. We will have the "big" ultrasound on the 30th. I am so excited to find out what we're having!

 I have experienced my biggest change so far. My hair gradually started falling out last Wednesday, April 4, on day 17 after my first treatment. The loss was slow, steady, and painless. It was pretty strange to run my fingers through my hair and have so much come out. Yesterday (April 12), I could really tell how thin it had gotten. I decided to bite the bullet and get rid of the mess. We borrowed some clippers, and Stephen buzzed it off.

 We wanted Emmalyn to watch so that she could understand and not be scared by the change. At first, she was excited about helping to cut my hair like Rapunzel in one of her favorite movies. By the end, however, she got upset. It broke my heart to see her cry. We cuddled and tickled, and before bed, she said, "Your fuzzy hair is so funny." She has only mentioned my "fuzzy head" once today. I thank God that kids are so adaptable. I'm still just her mom! She helped me pick out a couple of new scarves online this morning. I will say that bald heads are pretty cold. I'm sure I won't mind it so much over the hot summer! I have had to do a few double-takes in the mirror today. Stephen says that my head has a nice shape :).  I think I will prefer scarves and hats. It is definitely something I'll have to get used to, but I just don't want to stand out too much in a crowd. I've never been one to try out new fashions. Maybe I'll set a new trend.

 I thought this was a fitting passage to share as a reminder of how much God cares about us...

 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:29-31 NASB)

Stephen just sent me a dozen roses. I love him, too!

7 comments:

  1. I thank God for people like you - who keep it real ! What a priceless gift you are giving your daughter, too.

    Thank you for your post - and I think Stephen's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah! I love reading your posts and this one is no exception! You are a blessing! I love you very much! Keep it up! You're inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, you are amazing. I enjoy your blog posts. I was Myles' 1 yr. Old teacher @Bright Beginnings. Just so you know where to place me. We learn when we become parents that children are always watching and this no different. Emmalynn may not fully understand this now, but she sees her mommy as a fighter. I hope that you are saving these blot posts for your daughter as well as your new baby. Praying for you and the family! And try to rest! Haha!!! I know mommas don't get to very often, do they? Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lea:
    By reading your post, I can feel you are calm and you are full of peace and courage. I admire your positive energy and spirit! I like how you are always so open and so thoughtful of Emmalyn's feelings. You handled the hair-cut situations so well. It is so wonderful that you can write down these thoughts and feelings as a way to communicate with God and yourself. You are a very special lady, Lea. I am so fortunate to know you! We will be praying for you. We are so looking forward to haering about your big news on next ultrasound!
    Take care!
    Love,
    Chuchu Wu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sweet Leah, I love reading your thoughts. In just a few simple words God displays His love, compassion, fearless spirit, hope, peace, constancy , and sufficiency through you. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about life in general. We are so blessed to have you and Stephen in our family. I love you.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah, you are amazing, I love you and I love bragging on you. You are truly a darling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah, God has blessed your little girl with a wonderful mommy. Thank you again for sharing yourself and what is happening. -Chris Johnson

    ReplyDelete