Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 1

I began chemo today. I got to the cancer center at 8 am and left about 2:30 pm. In that time, I had the port flushed, labs drawn, saw my doctor, had 2 drugs that hold off symptoms, three chemo drugs (a,c,5fu), and got educated. I got in a lot of reading and iPad time. As of now, I feel pretty good. I am tired from the long day, though. More symptoms may appear in a few days, but I have a couple of prescriptions that can help.

 We were blessed by the kindness of the doctor, nurses, other patients, and volunteers. My doctor's nurse let us know that she is praying for us and expecting a good outcome with us. My oncologist said he would like to go into battle with me, because of my attitude and peace. We were given a good lunch from the volunteers, and the chemo nurses were excited with us about the baby. One particular older man with lung cancer gave an uplifting "sermon" in the chemo waiting area; he feels led to bless others around him, and he knows God can perform a miracle at any time. He knows our bodies are but dust, but to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. He said he told the doctor he thanked God for the skills and knowledge the Lord blessed him with to bring healing to patients. I hope to be just half that outspoken to encourage others!

 Emmalyn had a great day at the lake with her grandparents. One kind lady from our church was so encouraging when she told me her girls remember her battle with cancer as a time of fun, not sickness. They got to have lots of playdates and were pampered by others.

 The plan for now is to take six rounds of a/c/5fu, which consists of a dose of all three, then a dose of 5fu a week later, a week off, then start over. I will get a little break before the baby is delivered, then I will take taxol, followed by radiation and tamoxifen after delivery.

 Bro. Hugh gave a good sermon Sunday. He brought to mind Paul's battle with affliction in 2 Corinthians 12: 9,10...

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9, 10 NASB)

 Praise the Lord for His peace, His miracles, and His blessing of modern medicine!

10 comments:

  1. I love to see your smiling face in the picture! You're so pretty! You are already a blessing to others through this trial. Basically, you rock!!

    Love you, Leah!
    Heather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers are being lifted for you from Knoxville, Leah! You are a blessing and you do rock like Heather said.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly amazing Leah- and are truly a blessing to all of us who know and love you!! I will continue to pray for you, Stephen and your sweet Emmalyn! Sending lots of love and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your sweet family!! Tell Snyder to call us if you guys need anything!!

    Nan Tankersley Vassey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you Stephen and Leah. I am glad that to hear that the Lord is already surrounding you with encouraging people along the way.

    Love you both,

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah, you are such an inspiration - your faith and grace are beautiful to behold. Sending lots of prayers your way!

    - Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, Leah. You and your family are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you on this journey. You have such a strong faith!

    Blessings,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leah, thank you for your inspiration. I read an article the other day in my Stand Firm magazine(daily devotional for men) that instantly reminded me of you. The title of the article was "Don't waste your trial". Based on the verse from James 1:4, "But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing."
    SF "In 2006, author and pastor John Piper was diagnosed with prostate cancer. On the eve of his surgery, he penned an article titled, "Don't waste your Cancer." Among his 10 points to consider was this encouraging excerpt: "Christians are never anywhere by divine accident. There are reasons for why we wind up where we do. Consider what Jesus said about painful, unplanned circumstances...So it is with cancer. This will be an opportunity to bear witness. Christ is infinitely worthy. Here is a golden opportunity to show that He is worth more than life. Don't waste it." Thank you for using this to share Jesus with others. I believe that he will bless you and others through this difficult time. Your example is awesome! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leah, prayers for you, Stephen, and Emmalyn are going up from the VI! I am so blessed by your attitude.
    I remember a verse that a dear friend gave to me during a trial, and I reminded him of it when he was going through a trial of his own. May it encourage you. There is rest for the weary--cry out to Jesus!
    "May Yahweh answer you in a day of trouble; may the name of Jacob’s God protect you.
    May He send you help from the sanctuary and sustain you from Zion.
    May He remember all your offerings and accept your burnt offering.
    May He give you what your heart desires and fulfill your whole purpose.
    Let us shout for joy at your victory and lift the banner in the name of our God. May Yahweh fulfill all your requests."
    -Psalm 20:1-5
    I am shouting for joy at your victory in the Lord. May He show you how to bring glory to His name during this trial. This passage is life to me. The word of the Lord is so good!

    ReplyDelete